Monday



Once upon a time I lived in Dubai with my husband and teenage daughter. Dubai is Sheikh Maktoum's kingdom filled with magical architecture and exotic people far, far away from my home state of Colorado. I lived here four and a half years, and fell in love with this dynamic desert oasis! Surprisingly, the holiday season was celebrated in high style with glamorous garden parties, and Santa's at the malls! However, when Christmas fell during the month of Ramadan, out of respect for the local culture things toned down. Parties were moved inside and decorations weren't openly displayed.




I felt extremely fortunate to enjoy living in this villa for a few years. It was located minutes from the Persian Gulf, near the world famous Burj Al Arab hotel ! Like most Dubai villas it was surround by high walls, which allowed privacy and kept the sand at bay!

The American Women's Association of Dubai, held an annual Christmas Home Tour. This much anticipated event raised merit based scholarship money, which was awarded to American students residing in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). One year, I was the tour's event chairperson, and put my home on display along with five others. The tour was held on one special evening and open to Americans and their guests. On the night of the festive occasion, I had over 400 visitors tour my home. The following photos are from my villa.




From this view point you are in the foyer looking out the entry doors. The living room is the first arched doorway on the left, the dining room on the right, and stairs are directly behind. The entry glass was private, you could see out, but not in. I found the WELCOME entry mat at a local souk (old world market) trimmed in red and green that was perfect for the season.



The Christmas Home Tour was a popular event. It supported a worthy cause, and made living overseas not feel so far away during the holidays. I brought my furniture when I moved so had my Christmas decorations with me. I begged and borrowed the rest, and bought a few things also. For the show I had seven trees set up in different themes.

Peacock plumes were readily available in Dubai, so I used them as a topper for this mirror. I tucked them behind the frame and fanned them out for a simple, but dramatic effect.



This view is looking out from the living room. On the table are the three wise men who followed the North Star to Bethlehem. Some believe they started their journey in Oman, which is the country below the UAE. Frankincense and myrrh comes from trees in Arabia and is sold in the local markets.

I saw a woman eat a piece of frankincense at a party thinking it was hard candy. From the look on her face I concluded it must be very bitter!




The living room was designed with a white and gold angel theme. I tucked white feathers into the tree branches and used a glittery crescent moon for the tree topper.




Wreaths were hung from the windows by ribbons, and topped with draped floral swags.




This cherub sitting in a cloud of feathers started life as a terracotta garden piece. He was transformed by a magical can of metallic gold spray paint!



Twinkling white fairy lights brings sparkle to the ficus tree.




Whimsical cherubs frolic on a cloud of white feathers.





Stars were hung on the glass block with care, and a little help from suction cup hooks!





Stacked decorative boxes from a souk were tied with a bow and streamers.





Crystal and gold pieces fill the display case.




Gold and Glitter!





This is a view into the dining room from the room we nicknamed, The Room Behind The Dining Room! The color scheme is green and burgundy. Velvet and plaid fabric covers the table and swags were created using gold bows.




A velvet stocking made by moi, is filled with poinsettias. It was attached to the back of the armchair with a large gold bow.




Ole Saint Nick was the honored guest at the dining table. He's surrounded with Christmas decorations, and glittered fruit in a bed of evergreen.





Stacked boxes and a miniature sleigh filled with Christmas poppers.





The columns were wrapped with bows and evergreen.




The Musical Tree graces this corner.





My motto; TIE A BOW ON IT!





This is a view looking into The Room Behind The Dining Room. The tree at the far end was called the Liberty Tree and decorated in a USA theme.





Liberty Tree



Standing in the front hallway looking up the oval staircase.





And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. The the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more. Dr. Seuss



The Children's Tree was on top of the landing.



PEACE ON EARTH




RETURN

23 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy,
    That is remarkably beautiful. Wow! Wow!
    Love the peacock feathers... I remember that thing called gifts...you refreshed my memory.

    I can't imagine that many people coming through my doors. Just one more thing you do that wows me... Everything done to perfection even snowing Christmas wishes.

    I am truly blessed to have found you. Thank you for your very kind comments on my blog.
    Honestly, I am dazzled. I bet you can tell some stories about that night.

    I am working on two post right now... my camera is a pain...but I am still thankful I own one.

    Thanks for Christmas in Dubia... fun. Wow!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can glue stuff!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everybody sews but me.
    Nice job.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a gorgeous place. You did such a great job in decorating it. I love the little touch of America in the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy,

    Your home in Dubai was so gorgeous, and you did such a fabulous job of decorating it for Christmas!!

    I especially love how you did the garland on the archway and ribbon wrapped around the pillars!

    What a great idea to put ribbon,tassels and greenry on the wall sconce too, and looks beautiful!

    The white and gold room looks so elegant. I just love how you did the tree and windows.

    I'm sooo glad you shared this special Dubai Christmas!!

    Thanks!!
    Sherri:)

    P.S. I love how you displayed this post! Gotta find me some of that falling snow... It's about the ony way to get a white Christmas here!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy--Oh my goodness! Every picture is more breathtaking than the last! I would not have expected any public signs of Christmas there, but I know very little of the traditions. Your liberty tree and angel theme are my favorite..I think..it is all beautiful! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy, this took my breath! How gorgeous, and what a beautiful villa to decorate! I know everyone who came through on the tour was amazed at all of the beauty. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply stunning! This belongs in a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cathy,
    I'm so glad you shared your memories and these amazing photographs. Your home there was gorgeous, and your decorations were beyond stunning. The room with the gold theme was so calming and elegant. The plumes above the mirror may be my favorite idea you shared ... so simple, yet so dramatic!

    Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  10. So very stunning Cathy! What a blessing to have lived in that wonderful villa. The decorations were top notch and everything was just perfect! I have several trees in my home as well and I just love the richness the holidays have to offer when decorating. When the holidays are over and everything is put in storage it looks so bare! I hope you and your family have a very blessed Thanksgiving!! ~Vanessa :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello from Kansas!
    May you have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

    Enjoyed your tour of your over seas home. Every picture is a joy to view. Lovely!!!

    The double tablecloths with bows on the ends is delightful touch.

    What an experience to have had.
    God bless,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Cathy the decorating must have taken you ages but I bet that you loved every minute of it.
    It is like a magical dreamland.

    As you know I spent a year living in Dubai and must admit I do miss the shops especially the Mall of the Emirates and "The One" as shopping in France is not quite the same.

    Happy thanksgiving

    Leeann x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your home was very elegant and your decorations suited it so well.

    It must have been both fabulous and difficult living so far from home in that land of riches. I bet that the shopping kept you busy some...

    ReplyDelete
  14. How interesting that you had a chance to live in Dubai for so long! Love your motto: Tie a bow on it. Ha. And what a great idea to do a Liberty Tree! Thanks for the lovely tour.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Cathy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is just AMAZING! How many hours and how many people did it take to put that all together??!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tamara,
    I developed a game plan first, and then it took about three weeks to decorate. I did most of it myself, because my friends agreed to put their villas on the tour, so were busy decorating their own places. My husband put the trees and lights up, and my daughter helped also. It was fun, but taking it down seemed like more work, and I had some help packing everything away.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very elegant! Such a great way to bring the feelings of Christmas at home to friends and family in a far away land. The home tour sounds like a lot of fun.
    My colleague has grown children and a new grandchild in Dubai. The young couple are Engineers. She visits twice a year for several weeks and loves it. She has brought home some of the most beautiful shawls.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning, thank you for sharing a peek into Christmas in this part of the world. All the different rooms are lovely in their own way but the featers are the part that got my attention - what a fun addition.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for your tour of your past Christmas home, you are so lucky to have spent that time in Dubai, it must have been odd to have a warm Christmas though. I love the way you have incorporated local things into it too such as the feathers and the boxes from the souk.

    That's so great that you raised money so that others could have opportunities, Christmas is also about giving of course.
    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  20. One room after the other, one tree after the other, they are all beautiful!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely tour ! Thanks so much for showing us your most beautiful house in Dubai.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful villa, sounds like found memories.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this house! just gorgeous!! I lived in Bahrain when I was a teenager and I love the desert too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Cathy